Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Spectra 2007 hand brake

Unhappy Spectra 2007 hand brake

Cannot figure out how to disconnect the hand brake. I want to replace brake pads and cannot compress the cylinder. Figured I have to disconnect the handbrake cable to proceed.

Any idea someone?

Hello Siftyul,

You should not have to remove the parking brake cable from the caliper to remove it from the mounting bracket. Simply refer to the procedure in Section 3 of Chapter 9 of your manual. DO NOT TRY TO COMPRESS THE CALIPER PISTON INTO THE CYLINDER WHILE IT IS MOUNTED! The piston must be rotated back into its bore to make room for the new pads.

Thanks, I will try again. It looks like step 22 will do the job, although it looks complicated.

On page 9-4 it says Note: Detach the parking brake cable if necessary.

I cannot find instructions to do so.

Hello Siftyul,

Step 22 is actually easier than it seems. If you need more information on the parking brake cable or anything else, email one of our tech service reps at research@haynes.com, or call them at 1-800-442-9637. Give them the number/letter combination on the title page of the manual, just to the right of the Haynes logo; it looks something like this: (4JR - 36055). They'll do what they can to help.