Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2000 Dakota evaporator core

Default 2000 Dakota evaporator core

Just purchased the repair manual 3022 because I was told my evaporator core has a leak. This is a 1,000 dollar job at a shop so I thought I would attempt it myself with some buddies. It seems this manual address's everything but that specific job. Would I follow the instructions for heater core removal, but remove the evaporator instead?

Hello Kybuckeye,

Replacing the A/C evaporator is a very involved job because of instrument panel and HVAC housing removal. You could follow the procedure for the heater core removal to access the evaporator. Because this is a big job, you might want to get a confirmed diagnosis that your evaporator is actually leaking by a professional repair location. It would be unfortunate if you did all of the work to replace the evaporator only to find that it was not the source of the leak in your system.

First I wanna thank you for the fast reply and the concern about it being a big job. Unfortunatelly the diagnosis and estimated cost both came from a shop.

Hello Kybuckeye,

You're welcome. We hope your project goes smoothly should you decide to do it yourself. One suggestion, since we don't have much regarding illustrations on this procedure in our manual, consider taking reference photos along the way to aid reassembly.
    Contact our Technical Research department if you need a bit more information and we'll do what we can to help. Our phone number is 805-498-6703.

Thanks again. Photos and labels are in the plans