Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1992 ford ranger speedometer not working

Default 1992 ford ranger speedometer not working

today I followed steps 1 and 2 from section 22 of chapter 12. the symptoms were, that when I was driving, the speedometer needle would not move at all. someone told me that since I had just bought it used, maybe it had been sitting so long, that the needle kind of melted and got stuck to the needle rest. since then I've tapped on the face of the instrument panel hard enough to see the speedometer needle separate from the rest and jump up slightly with each hard tap I gave. So, "stuck to the needle rest" was not my problem. today after i followed steps 1 and 2, i was able to hold the instrument panel in my hands and spun the back of the speedometer head with my fingers and was glad to see that when it was spun, the speedometer needle rose according to how fast i spun. which leads me to believe that my problem lies with the something other than the speedometer head. the thing is, i don't know what parts to check or replace or even what to test next to see how i can make my speedometer function while driving.

Hi greenbeast,

Now you need to check the speedometer cable and the drive pinion. Look in Chapter 7A, Section 5 to see how to remove drive pinion from the transmission. It's a plastic gear, so it isn't unusual for them to wear out.

ok, i'm on it.

I ended up needing a replacement speed velocity sensor, which I've purchased. I'm looking at chapter 7, part A, section 5, line #5, it says "lubricate the new O-ring with transmission lubricant". I went to advanced auto parts AND autozone, and no one had any idea what I was talking about. So, If anyone could dumb it down for us, I'd really appreciate it. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. thanks

Hello greenbeast,

Most sensors or items plugged into a bore in the tranmission or engine block have an o-ring around the component that goes into it to seal the opening. If your original component did not have an o-ring, then yours is not equipped with one. Our procedure has this statement because most sensors are equipped with an o-ring seal.