Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1999 Dodge Caravan

Default 1999 Dodge Caravan

I need a diagram of a 1999 Dodge Caravan transmission. It has a 3.3. I lost my Haynes in a house fire last week. Any help would be appreciated.

I need it pretty quick so if anybody who keeps viewing this question has a copy of the diagram I would appreciate it.

Ok since no one wants to help me out with a diagram of the tranny can someone help me with my question? I have a 96 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3 and I need to put a new tranny in it. I bought a 99 tranny out of a Dodge Caravan and I have noticed there are a few more sensors on the 99. What are they and how can I go around them to make this tranny fit?

Hello Diesel2003,

In your undertaking of installing a different transaxle in your Dodge Caravan, you should have factory service manuals for both types to determine compatibility. Unfortunately, your question cannot be answered without knowing exactly what types of transaxles that you actually have. Moreover, to retrofit a different transaxle in your vehicle may require significant modification. It would be much simpler to replace your transaxle with one of the exact same type. Good luck with your project!

Yeah, well unfortunately for me I didn't get a user manual for the van I bought or with the motor and trans I bought. So what you are saying is that it's a big job to modify the trans to fit mine?

As far as I know they are both 4 speed automatics. A604 I assume. How do I tell?

Hello Diesel2003,

Try this link for a bit of history on your vehicle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Caravan

Again, you will need specific information on the types of transaxles that you are working with in order to determine compatibility. There are other resources online that may be helpful. With a little bit of searching, we're sure you can get enough information so that you can decide on how you wish to approach your concern.

Hm thanks. I guess I'm going to have to pay one of these "experts" on one of the websites I keep seeing. I just figured Haynes would be a good place to ask.

So now we have the 99 tranny going into the 96 van but we have had a few problems. We got past the first problem and now we found another. The drive shaft won't go in. What are the chances I could get a 99 drive shaft and it would work?

Hello Diesel2003,

Our best advise for checking compatilbilty on used parts is to refer to a Hollander interchange manual. These are commonly used by salvage yards.

In your undertaking of installing a different transaxle in your Dodge Caravan, you should have factory service manuals for both types to determine compatibility. Unfortunately, your question cannot be answered without knowing exactly what types of transaxles that you actually have. Moreover, to retrofit a different transaxle in your vehicle may require significant modification. It would be much simpler to replace your transaxle with one of the exact same type.