Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: BMW and Mercedes ECU DIY Repair

Hybrid View

Default BMW and Mercedes ECU DIY Repair

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could point me to a book, or some classes that would help me repair ECU's for BMW and Mercedes cars. I know a little about cars, but a lot about electronics. My friend owns a BMW and Mercedes mechanic shop and suggested that I start getting into re-building broken ECU's and re-selling them as refurbished units.

A book that describes this stuff would be great, and i see many books here, but not sure which one to get. I guess my first question is, does anyone know if there is a diagnostic tool which pin points which component/s have gone bad on an ECU board? I'm just starting to research into this stuff, so please excuse my ignorance on this subject.

Thanks for the help!

Hello mshsiao,

The information that you are seeking is beyond the scope of what we do here at Haynes. It is especially important to realize that the factory service manuals do not provide information on repairing ECUs. You may want to start with some online research and see if anyone else is doing the sort of thing that you endeavor to do. Good luck with your pursuit.