Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2001 Ford Explorer Sport - Fuel Door not closing

Default 2001 Ford Explorer Sport - Fuel Door not closing

Hi,

I have looked through section 11 of my manual to find anything on the fuel door - the door doesn't seem to want to stay closed (I think there is a spring issue) but I have no idea how to get to it. Can you direct me to the location in the manual that addresses this issue?

Thanks

Hi orange,

The Haynes manual doesn't have any information on the fuel filler door; unfortunately, neither does the Ford factory service manual. However, there is a guy here who has a '98 Explorer and he's going to take a look at it tonight. We're not sure if the filler door on his is the same as yours, but maybe we can gain a little insight by having a look. We'll get back to you ASAP.

Default Any news

Any updates on this?

Hi angry_orange,

Sorry about the delay. We'll get back with you this afternoon with more information.

Hello angry_ornage,

We've taken a look at the fuel filler doors on a '98 explorer and a 2000 F-150 for comparison with your model (the designs are similar). Basically, two fastners hold the door/hinge assembly to the body. The hinge has an integrated spring. A dealership parts department will most likely have an exploded view of the replacement part for your specific year and model vehicle. Removal of the fuel filler door involves the removal of the two fasteners near the hinge. Please let us know what you discover.