Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1997 Chevy Lumina 3.1L - Where is the starter relay (a.k.a. theft deterrent relay)

Default 1997 Chevy Lumina 3.1L - Where is the starter relay (a.k.a. theft deterrent relay)

Reference circuit diagram on Pg 12-16. I cleaned the battery connections and checked the fuses. Voltage is reaching the 5A fuse, but not the S terminal on the starter. Starter passed the bypass-the-circuitry test. So the problem must be the starter relay or the transaxle range switch (a.k.a. park neutral positin switch). The location of the latter seems to be pretty well indicated as being under the air cleaner/duct assy. Thanks. We're stuck without a car until I fix this, so pls answer ASAP. Double thanks.

Charlie

Default 1997 Chevy Lumina 3.1L - Where is the starter relay (a.k.a. theft deterrent relay)

P.S. - I found the PNP switch and am working on taking it out. Is there a schematic (with pinout diagram) in the manual, or do you know where I can find one? It has 9 pins (I looked at the new one), so I need this info to check continuity. Thanks.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

The theft deterrent relay (and the theft deterrent module) are located behind the right side of the instrument panel, behind the glove box.

The theft deterrent relay gets its feed from the yellow wire coming from the PNP switch. If you want to check continuity of the PNP switch, there should be continuity between the pin that corresponds to the purple wire and the pin that corresponds to the yellow wire (that's with the switch in the Park position). However, I'm looking at the connector end-views in the factory service manual and it indicates that there are two connectors plugged into the switch; one has 7 pins, the other has 4. The wires that I am referring to are both in the 7-pin connector.

Can you describe to me which pin in the theft deterrent relay connector connects to the yellow wire? What often happens is that you canít move a connector around enough to see what pin connects to a particular [color of] wire (if you can even see the wire at all). I'm asking now (even though it may end up being easy, when I get there) because Iím worried that by the time I find the theft deterrent relay connector, all the Haynes advisors will have left and I wonít be able to get an answer today. My wife, in particular, will be unhappy if I donít get this fixed today. She had to ask a coworker to pick her up in order to get to work today. I simply took another vacation day. But my work is piling up, so I have good reason to get it done today, also.

Thanks again,
    Charlie

P.S. - You're right, it's 11 pins (7 + 4) ... I can still see it in my head. I guess I wasn't seeing it at the time I wrote the earlier post. Oops.

Charlie

Charlie,

We're about to shut down for the weekend, but if you want to leave a private message on this site, and include your email address where I could send you some info, or a fax number, I'll check it and shoot something to you as soon as I can. Or email research@haynes.com and leave that info there.

I think maybe if you send your email address or fax number in a private message on this board it would be the easiest way to do it.

Thanks

I removed the glove box and looked very carefully, for very long, and unless it’s hidden quite well, I’m quite sure that the theft deterrent relay is not there, behind the glove box. There were two connectors that were the same basic shape and the same number of pins, but they had no yellow wires. I took them out anyway and tried the fit (into the new [replacement) theft deterrent relay that I bought yesterday), and they were quite a bit smaller. Also, they both appear to be permanently attached to one and the same metal tab (going by feel, because I couldn’t see it, whereas the one I bought is mounted on its own metal tab.

Next, I’m going to try to find it on the other side of the under-dash area.

Charlie

Charlie,

If you get your email or fax # to me, I can send you an illustration of the relay as well as the connector end views for the PNP switch . . .

P.S. - Without a schematic of the PNP switch, I don't think I could figure out if it was good or not after taking it out, and it's very hard to get to so I don't think I could probe the connector pins, or bypass the switch with a jumper wire between the right (if I could even see them) two pins.

Charlie

Oops. I didn't see either of your replies when I was typing in mine. I'll send you the email, since I don't yet know how to do a private reply. Thanks.

Charlie