Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1998 Chevy Blazer no start.

Default 1998 Chevy Blazer no start.

Having problems with an intermittent no start...engine cranks but does not fire...fuel pressure reading at 58psi which is correct according to your manual and have spark going to the plugs...have heard that the security system could be causing this or the ignition switch is faulty, however i cannot locate any information in the manual showing these items...any help would be appreciated.

Hi kwf1908,

The theft deterrent system disables the fuel injectors when activated, so even though you have pressure, the injectors might not be firing. The theft deterrent system is very complex, involving the Body Control Module, Powertrain Control Module, the ignition key, ignition switch, and passlock sensor. The BCM has the ability to store trouble codes if a theft deterrent-related problem arises. Unfortunately many consumer-level scan tools/code readers don't have the capability to read body codes (some do, though). It wouldn't be a bad idea to check for trouble codes before doing anything else.

thanks for the reply,

one last question, according to your manual #24071, pg. 4-1, proper fuel pressure range for a 4.3L with the CSEFI system is Approximately 55 to 61 psi. I have a 1998 Blazer LS 4X4, 4 Door, with the 4.3L and CSEFI system. I've been told that the numbers in your manual are not accurate for my vehicle. The mechanic I've been talking to said the numbers should actually be 60-66 PSI. The reason I'm asking is that I'm registering 58psi prior to startup and the mechanic says I have a faulty fuel pump. Can you clarify which numbers are actual correct.

Thank you.

I checked two sources, one indicated 55-60 psi, the other said 60-66 psi. It should be able to fire up on 58 psi, but would probably run lean.