Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: how to hold crankshaft still to loosen the crank bolt for caravan 1997 3.0L

Default how to hold crankshaft still to loosen the crank bolt for caravan 1997 3.0L

Hi admin,

I have the manual 30011 2002 version. Working on 1997 grant caravan V6 3.0L engine, I am trying to remove the 22mm crankshaft bolt, the angle iron method shown in picture 6.6a on page 2B-6 bent the angle iron that I have and the angle iron is not strong enough to hold the crankshaft from turning, also one of the screews holding the angle iron is also bent. I am trying to do what's in picture 6.6b on page 2B-6 and can not locate the flywheel/driveplate cover. Do you have more detail info on how to get to it? or does the transmission have to be seperated from the engine in order to get to it?

Thanks in advance.

pxl
    TIA
    ======================
    1997 Dodge Grand Caravan, V6, 3.0L, 200,000miles

Hello pxl1835,

If there are no obvious methods for gaining access to the driveplate, your best bet is to stick with the holding tool method in Step 6. The crankshaft pulley bolt is supposed to be installed with only 100 ft-lbs. Perhaps higher grade bolts and thicker angle iron stock would be helpful. Another option, which may save you a considerable amount of time and effort, is to rent a tool from a utility rental yard. Let us know your progress.

thx admin.

looks like a utility rental yard is the way to go for me at this time, but I am all new to the utility rental yard.
    can you say a bit more about that as to how to find them? i am in Northen New Jersey.

thx.

pxl
    TIA
    ======================

Hi again pxl1835,

You might look online or in the "yellow pages" for equipment rental businesses. If the business that you contact does not rent automotive tools, chances are they will be able to direct you to one that does. Also, some autoparts stores have tool loan programs. Check your local autoparts store for possibilities. Good luck with your pursuit.

Hi admin,

I eventually got the crank bolt loosened by an electric impact ranch with max 220 ft lbs specification. At first I used a regular extention cord that did not provide enough current to the impact ranch, then got a 12 gauge extention cord plugged directly to the wall jack, after a few loud tries, tala, loosened.

Wish me good luck. Thanks.

pxl
    TIA
    ======================