Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Can the plug for a Diagnotic reader be replaced?

Default Can the plug for a Diagnotic reader be replaced?

Hello, Long story short. My stepson's 1994 Mercury Sable GS 3.0 V6 Diagnostic plug that you would plug a Diagnostic tool into has been fried/messed up by a Popular automotive chain. I have not checked the manual yet because I am on the road and would like to fix it if that is at all possible. I am thinking plug and play like computers and it would be some what simple.

The Wise Guy

PS: I asked them to replace they told me no way, I will not take any auto their and have told many friends to avoid them

Hi Wise Guy,

You won't find the replacement procedure for that connector in the Haynes manual, because it isn't something that is normally ever done. Basically though, if it is the plastic connector housing you're talking about, you'll have to obtain a new one from a Ford/Mercury dealer (it will probably have to be ordered), then remove the terminals from the old connector and plug them into the new one. The metal terminals in the connector are each retained by a small "barb" that must be carefully depressed by slipping a thin tool into the connector from the front side; the terminal can then be pulled out from the back. To prevent mixing up the wires, do one at a time.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, I will take another look at it when I get back to town. I hope it as simple as you make it sound. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks
    the Wise Guy

Thanks, I will take another look at it when I get back to town. know what happens. I have the manual for the car No. 36074 in Chapter 6 page 6-3 figure 2.24 shows the piece that is messed up. It also shows a procedure that looks very time consuming to do to determine the codes. I hope to be able to replace the part and then use a code reader on it. I asume you can use a code reader on it. I will let you know.

Thanks
    the Wise Guy

Well I had to go on a Wild Goose chase to find the part but after a about 4 hours of driving around I did locate the right part ! I then began to take each wire on at a time and put it on the new part. I had to use a dremel tool to get the other wires free from the burnt plastic. Well after about 6 hours total and the part was only 8 dollars I then went to my local AutoZone to now get the codes read. That is when I learned I did this all for nothing so far!!!! See this is a 1994 car so there for is is a OB1 and not and OB2 code reader. Seems no one has the scan tool for this year handy. I did find that CarX has the scan tool but wants $100 just to read it!!!! Well anyway I got the part _Installed the part_and now if the car act's up again I should be able to find out what is wrong and fix it!

The Wise Guy