Haynes Manuals Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic transmission won't go to park

Default Automatic transmission won't go to park

97 Ford E-250 with E4OD transmission won't go into park.

Es posible que tengas un fusible quemado revisa los fusibles primero que es lo mas facil y lo mas rapido
    "You may have a blown fuse check fuses first is easier and faster."

Hi JCDoan,

It isn't likely that a blown fuse is affecting your shift lever... Does everything else seem to be OK?

Admin
    It also won't go into low 1 either. It goes through the gears fine while driving. I've removed the pan and can get it into park by grabbing the manual lever, but it's not easy. All the components look to be in good shape (nothing bent or broke). I did find laying in the pan a plastic part that resembles a plunger. It has stem of one inch on one end, the other is beveled on the out side with an o-ring. The center is hallowed out and has "K-153-3" stamped inside. No other parts were found. I'm assuming this is a piston that has fallen out from some where.

Hi JCDoan,

The plastic piece is a mystery. You might want to ask a Ford dealership service or parts department about that -take it in and show it to them. It could be a simple part used in the manufacturing process and not a concern. With regard to the shift lever, refer to Section 6 in Chapter 7B to adjust the shift cable. Let us know what happens.

Admin,
    Unfortunately the manual I got from the library doesn't cover my transmission. This is available on your web site: Ford Full-size Vans Haynes Repair Manual covering E-150 thru E-350 models with gasoline engines for 1992 thru 2005. Would that be where I could find the Section and Chapter to adjust the shift cable, that you suggest? If so, I'll go ahead and purchase it.

Hi JCDoan,
    That's the one.

I'll get it ordered and procede from there. Thanks!

I just fixed a '95 Taurus with the same problem... Under the dash there is a bracket that connects the shift cable to the column shifting mechanism. If this is loose, it can cause there to be too much play in the cable to get into park or first. All it took for me was tightening two bolts and everything worked just fine. I looked online and found this to be a common problem on Ford column shifters of nearly all models.

Just take a look under the dash (you may have to remove the under dash panel... 4 bolts max.) and move the shifter. You should be able to see the mechanism moving... Towards the firewall end, you will see where there is a piece that connects the cable to the tube-like mechanism... If this becomes loose from the bolts backing out, it will keep you from finding park or first. If you're missing a bolt like I was, you can usually find a decent analogue at Home Depot, or just go to a Ford dealer and see if they have a spare.

(Disclaimer) This may or may not be the cause of this issue on your particular vehicle, but as it is common to almost all Ford column shifters, it's worth a check. No reason to spend hours banging your head against a wall and spending way too much money on repairs for something that simple to check.

I tried everything suggested and went through the manual again. Then I took the column housing apart and found a bushing worn out on the shaft the gear shift lever attaches to. Will be changing that then go through the shift cable adjustment again and see what happens.