Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Base timing on 97 Nissan Sentra 1.6

Default Base timing on 97 Nissan Sentra 1.6

As the title states.
    I started this last week. I have the manual but I don't know if I'm reading it correctly. I Need to know where to put the points on the sprockets. Do I match them up with the gold chain links?
    Pg 2A-10 in manual 72051.

Thanks

Hi Spec E,

The lower chain has two plated links which align with the mark on the crankshaft sprocket (shown in illustration 7.39) and the mark on the larger sprocket of the idler (pointed out by the arrow in the center of illustration 7.42). The marks on the camshaft sprockets, and the smaller sprocket on the idler, align with the plated links of the upper chain (pointed out upper and lower arrows in illustration 7.42). The plated links on the upper chain aren't evenly spaced; as you are looking at it, there should be 16 links from plated link-to-plated link across the top, 16 links from plated link-to-plated link on the right (between the exhaust cam sprocket an the idler spocket), and 22 links from plated link-to-plated link between the intake cam sprocket and the idler sprocket.

Follow the procedure carefully, and when you get the chains on, temporarily install the crankshaft pulley and rotate the engine over by hand (use a socket and breaker bar or ratchet on the crank pulley center bolt) at least two revolutions (do this with the spark plugs out of the engine). If at anytime you encounter any resistance, stop and find out why. If the chains aren't set up properly, you run the risk of bending valves.