Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1994 geo prizm lsi 1.8

Question 1994 geo prizm lsi 1.8

In the summer i hit a small pothole on the passenger side, a day later the passenger side driveaxle started to have a clumk noise when i slow down on a red light, so i decided to change it with a new driveaxle, a few days was normal but later the clunk noise came back, i took it to a mechanic to have a stimate he told me the new driveaxle has a vivration close to the inner shaf of the transmission and that the inner bearing needed to be change, he was charging me $400 for an old transmission and $200 for labor, i have driving it thru the winter and the clumk has not come back, but i have a feeling it will come back once the weather gets warm, the original transmission has 120.000 street miles in it, is it normal for the inner bearings to go bad with this miles or i have a defected driveaxle, please i need everybody advice in thi one THANK YOU.

Hi cruzzp,

It is interesting that the problem has gone away. Generally, bearing noises do not go away. You might consider getting a second opinion if the problem does return. These problems can rarely be diagnosed unless they are present.