Haynes Manuals Home
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chrysler New Yorker 89' fuel pump is on when key is off

I changed the double relay. Still no spark. Checked fuseable links and found no visible breaks.

I checked on more relay today which I thought was ok. It had condensation and ice in it. Checked it on ohm meter and had no reading. Had to order it and will replace tomorrow. I do not know what this relay is for. This relay has 3 blue/black, 2 of which connect to one post, 1 blue/red, and 1 gray. Only thing I could trace down from Haynes manual is from ignition. In wire cavity of ignition switch - dark blue is for ignition run/start.

Hi chryslerguy,
    It sounds like you are going to replace the starter relay as well.

thanx admin, replaced relay and still no spark. I have narrowed done to ignition control module in distributor or the 90 way SBEC. But why no spark if run a jumper from pos. battery terminal to positive coil terminal.

Today saturday I made a jumper wire. I put it on the negative terminal coil and clip the other to the body. And the car started right up. Let run 10 minutes and unclipped the ground while running to see if it would stop. Yes it did stop. When I disconnected the wire from the body it produced spark. Reconnected jumper ground and now there is no spark/restart. Did I now short something out. Seems there is a short somewhere in the ground to the coil. My ground wire is black/white and positive is green/black. Rechecked coil and relays with ohm meter and they are ok. Again looked for shorts/open wires-no find any. Beside myself in Michigan.

Checked for open wires today-sun. Took all sheath off and follwed the negative and connects to power module. no open wires. as it states in Haynes manual. took power module connection off and I see no bad prongs or burn marks. still no spark.

Today-mon. Car started right up. No jumper. Car ran for 10 minutes and stalled out. Restart-starts up. Only will run from 1 to 10 minutes. Put a new fuel filter on. Still have same problem. Car will start-run a few minutes-then will stall out.

Found 6 way wire connector going to alternator. Full of grime and liquid. Took apart and cleaned and dried out. Started car and ran till it overheated. The auto cooling radiator fan did not come on. Did the coolant temperature sensor test. Did not come on. Did the Jumper fan to battery and fan came on. Replaced radiator fan relay. The car did stall/dog out one time after 15 minutes of running. The fuel pump has a very distinct loud humming noise. I believe my fuel pump is bad/going out. I had to replace my gas tank and fuel pump last spring. Bought whole unit at junkyard. So the current fuel pump is just about as old as my car is. The collector and brushes inside the fuel pump might(seem) to be worn out. One check to see if fuel pump is going out(when car does not start) is have one knock it with a hammer while one tries to start car. When you hit(knock) the fuel pump, a shock creates a good contact and the pump starts working for a said period of time. I think this is why my car would only run for a period of time. Also the loud humming noise is probably only obvious that pump is going out/bad. The question still is open as why/what shorted my relays out to begin with. Dirty 6 way connector, open wire condition, faulty SMEC. Will replace fuel pump and look for open wires while under car. Also believe I should replace this 6 way connector that I cleaned, need to research and find out what this is called, wires are purple/white, white/blue, tan, doulble orange, blue, and yellow or tan.