Haynes Manuals Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler New Yorker 89' fuel pump is on when key is off

Default Chrysler New Yorker 89' fuel pump is on when key is off

My fuel pump stays on when key is off. and no current to coil. Looked for shorts to find none so far. Had this problem last year. Went thru all electric wires I had access to find no bare wire(shorts). I retaped back together and it started and ran normal again. Now I have the same problem. When I turn the ignition key, on the second stage of turning the key, the fuel pump turns off. Turn back to off and fuel pump goes back on. Still won't start, no electric current getting to coil. Any suggestions please.

the fuel pump relay iwent bad and it needs to be replaced. mine did the same thing when it first happened i started to look under the hood at the relay box for the relay and i took it out got a ride and replaced it.it is a simple fix if you dont hear it come on when you turn the key befor starting up the pump is bad do the change fast because a burnt out pump with a full tank is kind of a pain in the neck

Did you try and replace your ASD relay yet? Located in the relay box under hood. We're having the same problem with spark issues.

Thank you for the info. I do not know where the fuel pump relay is. I can not find it in the Haynes manual I have.

Hi chryslerguy,

The ASD relay controls the fuel pump. It's located under the hood, along the left (driver's side) inner fender panel, forward of the strut tower. There are three relays mounted to the inner fender panel; the ASD relay is the one closest to the front of the car.

Thank you admin,
    I found it and replaced the relay. That solved the fuel pump always on problem. I still do not have spark. I have replaced coil, but still no spark. any suggestions please.

does your new yorker still have the cap and rotor and coil pack set up? if you replaced the coil i would replaace the cap and rotor as well. in not there is a fuseable link in the relaybox that controlles the spark. also check the battery as well when i replaced my fuel pump relay i ended up replacing my battery do to the drain from the pump runnin

Hi fast8030, yes I do have a cap and rotor. Checked that today. cap looks good. rotor looks like it should be changed. I will change that out tomrrow. coil is separate from all. My other idea was there is a -Ignition Control Module- in distributor. Had to replace one on a car I ahd in the past when sudden loss of spark.
    My engine is 3.0 V6 fuel injected.

I replaced the cap and rotor. still no spark. When I reconnect the positive cable there is a clicking noise coming from a relay on the right side on car. Is this normal. I checked and found black marks on the inside of one of them . Is this from shorting out. This relay has 2 relay box on one bracket. I am replacing both tomorrow. I have even ran a wire direct from battery to coil and still no spark. I find this unusal. The fuseable link that controls spark, I can not find. Is the double relay that I am replacing the fuseable link?

OK dah, looked in Haynes manual and found what a fusable link is. I have checked these and many wires looking for a short at beginning of problem. Can not find a problem/short so far. Raplace that relay and look again tomorrow.