Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: prepping for a strut/shock replacement

Default prepping for a strut/shock replacement

I am preparing to replace both front and rear suspension on a 1996 Volvo 850T and making up a list of all the parts I will need etc. In going through my manual, I get stymied with little things like instruction #8 under topic 4 (Front suspension strut - removal and installation) on page 10-5. I am supposed to make sure that there are two spacer sleeves on the steering knuckle bolt, as in illustration 3.9, and for some reason, I just can't find illustration 3.9. Any page suggestions?

Also, does anyone know of a site that lists all the parts required for a job like this? I am worried that i will get the suspension disassembled, and find out that I am missing some 3 dollar rubber part or some such that I didn't think about and now I have to wait a week for delivery before I can get my car back on the road.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

Hi 850 Guy,

Strike that reference to illlustration 3.9 - it doesn't exist.

The parts that might need to be replaced are shown in illustration 5.7, and the bump stop in illustration 5.6. You won't know if any of them need to be replaced until the strut is disassembled, though, so you can inspect them.

Before you so the job you might want to call around to various parts suppliers to see if they have rebuilt struts available on an exchange basis. That will make the job a lot quicker and easier, since you won't have to disassemble the struts.