Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Ranger timing

Default Ranger timing

I am using Haynes manual #36071. I have a 1993 ford Ranger with the 3.0 liter V-6. Chapter 1 states that the timing is not adjustable. I am sure that is true for the coil packs but this manual also covers the 1993 and 1994 3.0L engines which still had distributors. On page 5-1 it gives base timing (10 deg) and a timing procedure in chapter 5 section 13 (page 5-7). I have no idea what this spout connector is or this shorting bar. I have traced the wire back from the distributor and do not see a pink wire. Step 5 has you remove the shorting bar and step 9 has you remove it again which I think is just a typo. That is if I even have a shorting bar. This is one that really should have had a picture.
    Every shade tree mechanic I know and even a few that are doing it for a living say that the timing is not adjustable. So what is the deal? I think the timing is off. If no adjustable timing then why would Ford bother with timing marks on the HB. The engine has recently had new spark plugs, wires, new distributor cap and rotor installed.

Thank You

Hi Geoffrey,

You bring up a good point. The timing obviously isn't adjustable on distributorless ignition models. On models with distributor ignition, it still is not a routine adjustment (since there are no mechanical advance mechanisms incorporated into the distributor that could wear over time). The only time it would be necessary to adjust the base timing would be if the distributor was removed or accidentally repositioned (turned). So the wording in the chapter 1 specifications could be changed to clear that up.

The Ford factory service information is incredibly vague when it comes to the location of the SPOUT connector on these Ranger models (that stands for SPark OUTput, by the way). On some models it is a single-wire connector in line with the harness going to the distributor. On others, it's a two-wire connector equipped with a "shorting bar" which must be removed (it's a small jumper that bridges two terminals of the connector). This is sometimes located near the remotely mounted Ignition Control Module (ICM) up near the left headlight. And yes, in step 9 it should say "or reinstall" the shorting bar.

If you email one of our tech service reps at research@haynes.com, or call 1-800-442-9637, they can get you an illustration of the SPOUT connector location (the remotely mounted type).