Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Transaxle stuck in park after CV shaft replacement

Default Transaxle stuck in park after CV shaft replacement

I am using the Sephia and Spectra 1994 to 2004 repair manual. I replaced both CV shafts one at a time the drivers side first. The car is a 2001 Sephia with 89K and an auto trans. During this I also fixed the shift lock system (under floor console) as it would not move as the internals had moved but now it and the key interlock both work correctly. The battery and starter have both been checked and are fine. I could start the car just after the CV replacement but could not shift out of park but went on vacation for 2 weeks and upon my return could not start the car no noise or starter motor action. I disconnected the cable to the transaxle and the cable moves freely and the floor shift lever and button on the side of the shift knob work fine. The lever on the transaxle to which the shift cable and the TR switch attach to will not move; however. this was not a problem before this. The VA saftey inspection revealed a blown CV boot on one side but not the cracked one on the passanger side though they passed the car. I did remove the TR switch cleaned the out side and reinstalled it afterwhich the car starts and runs but still no movement. Any suggestions would be helpful, I would like to get my daughter's car back to her so my wife can have her car back, Thanks?

Hi Kennethmg,

Wow - this is the weirdest thing I've heard in a while! Since the CV joints plug in to the differential side gears in the transaxle, I really don't think the problem is related to that part of your repair. The fact that the shift cable moves freely but the lever on the transaxle doesn't, would seem to indicate that there's something going on related to the manual lever in the transaxle. Try releasing the parking brake, then attempt to rock the car back and forth, then see if you can move the lever. To me it sounds like the parking pawl in the trans is being bound-up against a slot in the clutch drum, preventing it from being able to be released (similar to what can happen if you park on a hill and don't set the parking brake).

Let us know what happens . . .

Default Yes how strange!

I tried moving the car and the parking problem did not reslove. Can the park pawl be reached from the bottom of the transaxle to get it released? I also tried jacking both sides up front and the wheels move freely in opposite directions so I thought maybe I could just jack one to help release from park after the snow clears here in VA about one and a half feet so far. I am wondering if the tow truck driver put the car in park first on the driveway, it does have a slant to it and then put the parking brake on when I had it towed home to work on?

Well, the parking pawl is accessed from the bottom of the transaxle, but the valve body has to be removed. Once that's done, you should be able to see it. Keep in mind though, I'm just speculating that that might be the problem. Like I said before, I don't think it has anything to do with you removing and installing the driveaxles.

Well after the worst snow here in 90 years (after the snow noted above) and clearing felled trees, still more to go and a couple of trips out of state, I did pull the transmission pan and removed the valve body and found the parking pawl and did get it to release after removing the bottom bolt from the vertical shaft which connects the cable from the floor mounted shifter to the transaxle and the shift detent plate attached to the shaft. Much to my surprize the shaft itself (goes through the transmission range switch) is what is stuck. I went to the dealer and they and the Kia customer service toll free niumber had never heard of the happening. I can order an new one but how do I get the old shaft out and replace it with a new one?

Hi Kennethmg,

If you're sure it's stuck (if both ends of the shaft are not connected to anything and you still can't get it to move), it must be frozen in its bore. I've never heard of that happening either; it's not like there's a lot of movement going on there! Try taking off the transaxle range switch and see if that's what's binding it up. I'm not sure if the manual shaft comes out the top or bottom (factory manual is kind of vague in regards to that).

I have taken off the transaxle range switch and that is not what is binding the shaft. It appears from the diagram of the shaft that it would go out of the housing at the bottom of the housing as there is a bearing in the housing and the shaft goes through another shaft size hole just below where the transaxle ranged switch is mounted. I have put penetrating oil at both locations and I will try to tap out the shaft using a block of wood on the shaft, I hope it works.

I have gotten the shaft to move after disconnecting both top from the shift cable and taking of the gear position switch and the bottom from the innner transaxle gear changing parts. I put lots of penetrating oil on it and used a 1/2 breaker bar to loosen it and move back an forth until it moves freely. It appears the electrolosis between the aluminum casing and the steel shaft caused some corrosion freezing the shaft!