Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Pissed

Angry Pissed

Where in your damm book is what fluid i should use in a 1999 jeep grand cherokee quad da trac. It has a v8. I have been searching this manul for an hour and . It says got section 29 .there is no section 29 .ibeen for one end to the other . Why cant you people put all the specs in one dam place. This is the last time i'll waste my money . Now what weight oil do i put in the transfer case and how much di put in .

Hi jim mc,

WHOA! Hang on a minute! Let's clear things up. Go to the Chapter 1 Specifications - it's at the beginning of the chapter. The transfer case lubricant type is shown on page 1-2, third entry from the top. It shows what to use for Select-Trac and Quadra-Trac. The lubricant capacity is shown a little farther down on the page.

No Section 29? It's on page 1-26, left hand side of the page - "29 Transfer case lubricant change (4WD models) (every 30,000 miles or 24 months).

If your book doesn't have that page, then a problem must have happened during the binding process. If that's the case, call one of our tech service reps at 1-800-442-4637 and they'll take care of you.

Smile pissed

ok ,sorry . now i see it . you dont make it easy with all the 1-2 stuff and section what ever and chapter what ever. why not number the pages one to what ever the last page is. thanks. jim

Hi Jim,

The numbering within each chapter is "self contained." That way every page in the chapter starts with the chapter number and a dash, followed by that chapter's page number. If we add a chapter to the book when it's updated (like if another engine was added and required its own chapter), then we don't have to renumber every page in the book! (That's a huge issue when you consider that the entire book would have to be re-plated - a very expensive part of the pre-press setup at the printing facility - just to change page numbers!) It also makes it easier when you go to the table of contents and want to find a particular chapter - engine electrical, for example (which is Chapter 5) - you can just flip through the pages until you find the page numbers that begin with "5-." So hopefully you can see that method of page numbering makes it easier from a production standpoint, and makes using the manual easier for the consumer (that's what we're trying to achieve, anyway).

As far as the "section whatever" thing goes, we HAVE to arrange things by systems, components, or tests, so the only reasonable way to do that is to give each of those things their own sections within the chapters to which they belong, with their own corresponding numbers. Think about it; a toolbox has lots of drawers, and you arrange your tools in there so you can find them easily. It isn't just a four-foot deep box that you throw all of your tools into. Think of the time you'd waste trying to find the 7/16-inch socket!

Always remember this: We stand behind our product, we value our customers, and we're always here to help you if you need it!