Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1990 Jeep Comanche 2.5L Distributor discrepancies.

Default 1990 Jeep Comanche 2.5L Distributor discrepancies.

Ok, so I cranked the engine with the distributor off of my 1990 Jeep Comanche 2.5L 4 cyl.

I went into my trusty Haynes manual to find how to set the distributor back in.

This is a photo of the instructions:

If you look at where the "Front face" of the engine block is, it changes throughout the steps, which in turn would change the position of where 3 o clock, 5 o clock, and 6 o clock would be. Is the front face actually the side face? I am confused. If it's a typo, where can I get corrections for these otherwise wonderful manuals?

Could you please clarify what I have to do?

Also, elsewhere in the manual, it says to check to make sure the rotor is pointing in the right direction, position the 1st cylinder to TDC, align the timing marks to zero and take the cap off. Well, after I do that and reseat the distributor to the instructions above, it's pointing at the 6 o clock position as mentioned in the instructions above. The only problem is that the 6 o clock position is just after the 1st cylinder.

Please advise.

Hi Shandley,

Those are Jeep factory illustrations, but they have since been amended. In illustrations 13.10a and 13.10b, consider the "front face of the engine block" the same as it is shown in illustrations 13.10c and 13.11a, which are correct.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you for the quick reply.

I do have one question though.

It says to place the rotor at 6 oclock when the distributor is installed when at TDC on the compression stroke of the 1st cylinder. 6oclcok is past the 1st lead wire tot he sparkplug of the 1st cylinder. Is this advance suppose to be?

Well, that I really can't say, because the info in the Haynes manual matches that of the factory (I checked). It may be OK, or you might have to turn the distributor body a little to make the timing right. You'll probably have to try firing up the engine to find out. If it isn't quite right and you can't turn the distributor enough to get it where it has to be, you might have to pull it out again and reset the oil pump drive position.

We're not in the office right now (I just wanted to see if you received my response), and we won't be back until Monday. I hope you get it figured out, but if you still need help, get in touch with us then. You can email one of our tech service reps at research@haynes.com or call (the number is on the last page of your manual).

Thanks again for using our manuals!