Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Chipmunk

Default Chipmunk

I have a rat or a chipmuck putting acorns and corn seeds in my fan cage. I cleaned it out earlier this fall and had a nest and acorns. How are they getting in? I took the fan out and felt back in the hole (I would of had to change pants if something would have moved) and the only opening I could feel was going up under the shroud up under the windshield, were the wiper arms come thru. A squirrel couldn't have gotten in there. Where does the outside air come in, is it open to the out side? Or does it go out under the shroud under the windshield? Thanks

Hi rickluc,

The air intake for the ventilation system comes through the cowl panel at the base of the windshield. Mice can squeeze through very small openings!

Thanks
    I have trouble believeing its a mouse.The round holes in the couwl are only approx. the size of a dime. An acorn is pretty good size for a mouse. Is there an opening running along the outside panel and inside panel of the front fender? Thanks

Hmmm, I really don't think there's any other entrance (or at least there shouldn't be). Is this on the Talon or the Ranger (or something else)?

Ranger

An acorn couldn't fit thru a hole the size of a dime. I don't believe I have a rust hole either. My manual dosn't show that much. Thanks

I'm looking in the factory service manual and still have no idea how those critters are getting in there. Is it possible that they could have chewed their way into the housing from below, on the engine compartment side of the firewall?

Thanks

I thought about the chewing a hole up from the bottom. Tried looking there but couldn't see much. I'll check that out again.

I looked the fan and plenum over real well. No way a mouse, rat, or Chipmunk could get in. I think IT is coming thru the opening around the wiper arm pivot shaft and shroud under windshield. Don't know for sure and probably won't know this year. IT is probably done collecting food for the winter. I stuffed this opening with steel wool. Not a good ideal because the steel wool will start rusting. Any ideals on what to stuff or squirt in the opening? Thanks

I ended up squirting clear silicone around the opening. Doesn't look to bad. Wouldn't want to do that to a new vehicle. Thanks The critter was a mouse. Don't know how he could of carried those acorns.