Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: problem with child lock on 2002 cadillac deville

Question problem with child lock on 2002 cadillac deville

Hello anyone I have a 2002 Cadillac Deville, the child lock control dail will not unengaged after being engaged. I try turning the dail to unengaged it. But I am not able to open the real door from the inside. Please help. I have not been able to locate this information in my Haynes Repair manual for Cadillac Deville's from 1994 thru 2005 and Seville from 1992 thru 2004. In section 11-11 it explains the door lock cylinder and outside handle but nothing on adjusting the child lock?

Hi robertlbranch,

The child lock is not adjustable. It's possible that either the projection on the back of the child lock knob broke off, or the rod from the inside door handle to the latch has become disengaged. Carefully pry out the child lock knob and see if the piece on the back of it that engages with the latch has broken off. If it looks OK, take the door panel off (that's in Chapter 11 of your Haynes manual) and see if the rod from the inside handle to the latch has become disconnected. It's not uncommon for the plastic retainers at the ends of the rod to break. Most auto parts stores carry replacements.

Hope this helps.