Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2005 Chrysler Town and Country, timing chain

Question 2005 Chrysler Town and Country, timing chain

Hey everyone, (new here) I have the Haynes manual for this van but I still have a issue: T & C (3.3 engine), I change the timing chain because of the mileage it has, also I was able to hear a rattle around the cover area. Now that I change it, 1st start was great and at idle, too. When I went for a test drive it hesitated while I accelerated (lights or complete stop) but it won't misfire or any shaking motor. What is causing this can it be something else? Things I change wire set, spark plugs, CPS senor, and timing chain (I using the Haynes repair manual as a guide) everything aliens with dots, sprockets and chain marks. What else Can I do, the van was running well their was no check engine light on (at that time but I just wanted to remove the rattle).

Question, did I Misalign the chain (ck 2 twice), can I get a diagram to see how it must be align the pic on the manual I follow step by step. (also I did the TDC, 1st pistol highest point)

Please help
    Last edited by joey0514; 10-21-2009 at 07:20 AM.

Hi joey0514,

You don't need an additional diagram; illustrations 10.16 and 10.25 in Chapter 2B of your manual pretty much say it all. If your timing marks are aligned as shown there, that part of your repair was done correctly. What you should do is check for any trouble codes stored in the computer. If there is a code (or codes), knowing what they are will get you pointed in the right direction.

Also go back and double-check your work. Take a close look at every component, hose and wire that was disturbed during the procedure.

Ok, before I reinstall everything starting with the timing chain cover. What symptoms are referred to a misalign timing chain?

Depending on which direction it is misaligned, it could result in rough running, backfiring through the intake or backfiring through the exhaust, sluggish performance, probably more.

Ok, I just finish with the timing chain and I test drive and same thing. this time I got code P0016 (crankshaft/camshaft timing misalignment)and P0344(camshaft position sensor intermittent)

Like I say at idle it runs smooth, at this point I don't understand if its misalign then I SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO START IT (sorry it anger me when I can deliver on time)

Next question should I move what the camshaft back one tooth or the crankshaft. Base on what I saw I really don't have an option to move neither because the marks on the chain would not match?

Should I reset the computer and how can I do that