Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1998 Volvo S70 B5254T engine rebuild

Default 1998 Volvo S70 B5254T engine rebuild

I'm rebuilding the engine in my wife's 98 Volvo S70 with the B5254T engine. The thing is apart, cleaned up, valve job done... I've made up a spreadsheet of parts that I need and gotten quotes from 2 dealers, 2 internet sites, and two local parts shops. I'm ready to go. Unfortunately, I'm also dead in the water.

The problem is that there seems to be no deterministic way to identify which main bearing shells I need to match the crankcase and crankshaft. According to the Haynes manual (Volvo S70, V70 & C70 1996 to 1999 - P to V registration - Petrol) each color coded half shell is selected by matching up markings on the crankcase with markings on the crankshaft and then looking the result up in a table. (I've excerpted the pertinent paragraphs from the manual and included them below. Also, I've included the table as an attachment.

The stamp on my crankcase is 1BBBBBBI... easy to find and what I expect. The problem is that there is no discernable matching stamp on the crankshaft. There are markings on the counter weight lobes, but nothing meaningful (lobe 1: L8; lobe 2: 1422; lobe 3: 90; lobe 5: 59.) Just to dispel the most obvious questions: no, this IS the original crankshaft - it's a one owner car, so unless faeries came in the middle of the night and swapped it out, it is a factory shaft; and yes, I have had two other repair shops and a machine shop look at it and reach the same conclusion.

To be fair, I have asked the local Volvo dealer, the Darrell Waltrip Volvo dealer in Tenn., the Revolvstore in Tucson, and several local and internet parts suppliers. NONE of them even knew what I was talking about. (I guess Volvo rebuilds aren't very common!)

If there's anything you can do to help resolve this, I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks.

Haynes manual excerpt (Ch 2B, section 10, pp 12-13):

Selection - main and big-end bearings
    12 To ensure that the main bearing running clearance will be correct, there are three different grades of bearing shell. The grades are indicated by a color coding (red, yellow or blue) marked on each bearing shell, which denotes the shell's thickness.
    13 New main bearing shells for each journal can be selected using the reference letters (A, B and C) which are stamped on the cylinder block and on the crankshaft, in accordance with the table shown (see illustration).
    14 From the table, it can be seen that if the marking on the cylinder block for a particular journal was B, and the corresponding marking on the crankshaft was C, then a red bearing shell would be fitted to the cylinder block, and a yellow shell would be fitted into the intermediate section.
    15 Check all the markings and select the main bearing shells necessary for all journals.
    16 Big-end bearing shells are not graded and are supplied in one size only to match the dimensions of the respective journal. As the manufacturer's do not specify an actual running clearance dimension for the big-end bearings, the only safe course of action is to fit new shells whenever an overhaul is being undertaken. Assuming that the relevant crankshaft journals are all within tolerance, the running clearances will then be correct.

(Sorry the site won't let me post a jpg of the table)

Hi norastus,

It's nice to get an email that contains all of the information we need to address a question! Unfortunately, that manual was originated at our U.K. facility, therefore we have no information on the S70 here in our California office. Email our U.K. tech support at tech@haynes.co.uk and re-post your message; they'll do what they can to help. (I wanted the eternal gratefulness, but I guess one of the Brits is going to get it!)

Thanks for using Haynes manuals!

Got it. Turns out I just had my head wedged. The parts manager (Don) at the Waltrip Volvo dealer in Tenn. sent me an email with the answer.

The stamp IS on the crankshaft... on the last counter-weight lobe (closest to the flywheel.) I went through the photos I had taken (how did we ever live without cell phone cameras), blew up the appropriate one and, viola, there it was.