Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 96' Jetta 2.0 head bolt tool

Default 96' Jetta 2.0 head bolt tool

Okay the Haynes manual has got me meckanikin' and diggin in to check for valve damage after the timing belt broke.

Is there a special tool or size to fit the bolts to remove the head?

Looks like maybe a torx but if so what size? Dealer repair shop has been less than helpful. Perhaps jealous of the Haynes manuals?

Cheers,

Tom 2.oh
    PS and maybe how to get to and remove (but not my arm skin) the 3rd from the left bottom nut for the exhaust from the head? Argghhh!

Not a 3/8 or 5/16
    not a 10 or 8 mm
    Could it be the elusive 9 mm?
    That's insane?

Hi Tom 2.oh,

I checked with our mechanic (who happens to be a VW guy) and he showed me the tools he has for VW head bolts. Two of them are 12-point internal spline drive; one is a 12mm, the other a 10mm. The other one was a 12mm 12-point socket (but it sounds like you have the internal-drive type). Don't try to use a hex bit - get the proper 12-point tool so you don't mangle the bolt heads and really create some misery. If your local auto parts store or hardware store doesn't carry it, call a MAC or Snap-On tool dealer.

You can leave the exhaust manifold attached to the head, then separate it later, thus saving your arm skin.