Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1998 Chrysler Sebring convertible water problem

Default 1998 Chrysler Sebring convertible water problem

I have both a Haynes manual and a Chilton for this model. I can find nothing in either about what to do about a body drain backup.
    Water can be heard sloshing about after a rain and it comes out into the rear passenger floor area.
    I have even drilled a hole in the floor pan underneath the car with limited results.
    Please help. What is causing this and how do I fix it?

Hi cea0716,

Water leaks can be a real bear to track down. The factory service manual doesn't show the locations of any body drain points, but one common point of leakage is in the cowl area (at the base of the windshield). Make sure the cowl chamber isn't clogged with leaves. Then, have someone apply water with a garden hose around the windshield/cowl area whil you get under the dash with a flashlight to see if you can determine if the water is getting in from that area. You'll probably have to remove various interior trim panels as you work your way around the interior of the vehicle trying to locate the leak. Another common point of entry is around the panels surrounding the trunk (where the top meets the vehicle).

Good luck finding the leak. Oh, patch up that hole you drilled in the floor, too.