Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1996 VW Jetta Timing Belt Engine Rebuild

Default 1996 VW Jetta Timing Belt Engine Rebuild

Haynes manuals have helped this 50+ grey headed desk and phone jockey turn a wrench successfully on two 200k miles Mazdas, a Toyota Camry, Honda Civic and my teenage son's Grand Marquis land yacht.

This VW is a different animal. I have the 96017 manual which has helped with water pump, timing belt, and the dang cooling fan relay switch. Which in it's disrepair may have hastened the following.

Well ...the timing belt broke while running. Ohh No. I replaced it. I'm 99.5% sure I got it installed correctly based on the 3 reference points. No compression. Well I suspect it may have valve(s) bent... Double dang. I am not sure about digging deeper with this repair (yet).

If I find and replace the valves should I go ahead and do a complete rebuild. Do I have to pull the engine for the valve replacement? Is there an additional engine rebuild manual that I should also reference.

Words of wisdoms, encouragement or compassion welcome.

Cheers,
    Tom 2.oh

Hi Tom 2.oh,

Bummer - sounds like bent valves alright. No, you don't have to pull the engine, just the cylinder head. Take the head to an automotive machine shop - they can check the seats and guides for you. If the rest of the engine is in decent shape, there's no need to rebuild it.

Good luck!

Okay...my confidence is up a little. Trying to understand the visuals before the disassembly.

Manual 96017 Page 2C-9 Illustration 4.10
    Is the unit showed turned upside down?
    The picture shows the (15) cylinder head casting, also the (11) valve guides and (10) lower seats. You suggest that I take the cylinder head in for inspection and serviced flat if need. Do you mean the (15) cylinder head casting?

Well assuming that I don't have to rebuild the engine, is it still advised to remove the lock carrier assembly panel to access this job.

Cheers,
    Tom