Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1997 Ford Ranger high beam light indicator

Hybrid View

Default 1997 Ford Ranger high beam light indicator

How does a person change the high beam indicator light in the dash? Do you have to take the dash out, and how much does that involve? Or can you reach up under the dash and remove a socket? Thanks

lets put it this way its not important enough to go through the trouble of changing it... you have to get the gages out and 9:10 that means pulling out the dash you might be lucky and can pull off the cover in front and there would be a couple of screws holding them in though just look around them carefully and dont snag at any thing

Hi rickluc,

You don't have to pull out the whole dash - just the instrument cluster. That procedure is in the Haynes manual for your Ranger. It's not that big of a job. The main thing is to be careful with the instrument cluster bezel and other trim panels that have to come off to get at the cluster.

If you do go through with replacing the bulb for the high beam indicator, I would recommend you replace all the other bulbs in the cluster while you have it out since they're not expensive, and it will keep you from having to pull it again as others will probably fail sooner rather then later (probably once you put everything back together).

I took the insterment cluster out and check the bulb, OK. Tested the power and ground circuit board wire with a power and ground wire, bulb lite up. Took tester light and found there is no power coming in thru the black connector that plugs into rear of insturment cluster. In manual 36071 on page 12-23 it shows a connection behind the left headlight. Is this pretty accurate? I have to remove battery to slit wire cover to try to find that connection. Or does someone have another ideal? Thanks

HI again,

Yes, I double-checked the diagram against the Ford factory service information, and that connection is near the "take out" to the left headlight electrical connector. The "take out" (or T/O as Ford lists it in their Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) is defined as "the point at which a group of wires branch off the harness trunk." So it's somewhere in that harness you're referring to.

Hope this helps.