Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: shadow problems

Default shadow problems

i bought this pain in the rear shadow and the brakes were shot.so i proceded to repalce the master cyclander calipers. now i got to bleed the brakes and i got no fluid to the rear wheels any sugestions i have read the chapter on brakes sevral times and am stumped.

thx

Hi pts,

Sounds like you need to bleed the master cylinder first. Go to Chapter 9, Section 10, Step 7 of your Shadow manual and give that a shot, then continue to bleed the rest of the system.

I did bench bleed the master cyclnder and i also blead it in the car to make double sure it was working. Is it possible that the proportioning valve is closed to the rear brakes? And if so how do i get it to reset cause theres nothing in the manual about the proportioning alve in there other then the fact it has one.

The hydraulic system on your car is diagonally split, and the valves within the proportioning valve unit are separate, therefore I don't think that would be the problem. You can check it for fluid flow, though. Bleed each line at the top of the valve, then try bleeding the two lines at the bottom of the valve (leading to the rear brakes) and see if fluid flows from there.

Propotioning valves are reset by bleeding one brake circuit or the other to center the valve. Generally the brake light will be glowing on the dash, and one circuit or the other is bled until the light goes off. On your vehicle you'd be working with the front brake circuits.

Sometimes when a system is stubborn, it helps to bleed it using a hand-held vacuum pump (with a small fluid reservoir attached). These pumps are available at most auto parts stores and will include instructions showing you how to do this.

Ok thanks for the advice i guess it's off the the auto parts to get this bleeder tool u spoke of.