Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: wiper motor inoperative

Default wiper motor inoperative

1996 Chrysler Town & Country minivan. The windsheild wipers work when
    washers are selected, 2 swipes then park, but not when wipers are selected, full on and delay. I removed the motor, cleaned internal contacts, checked fuses and relays and plug connections. Cant find a Hayes manual locally. I suspect the actuator on the steering column as defective. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Hi xtrain,

Sure the switch is a possibility, but the circuit is fairly complex, so we really can't speculate. The Haynes manual for your vehicle (no. 30011) has a wiring diagram for the wiper/washer system - it would really help you in your diagnosis. You can order the manual directly from this website.

Default wiper inoperative

I now have a Haynes manual. I followed it to remove and check the multi function switch on the steering column, all checks ok. I found out from the previous owner that this problem has been inherent in this car for years. He had it into Chrysler and other shops and they could not fix it. I now suspect the body control module, or open connections to it, but I cannot find a reference or location of that module anywhere in the Haynes manual. Next step, find the BCM.

OK - The body control module is located on the backside of the junction block under the driver's side of the dash.

Unfortunately, a proprietary scan tool is required for testing the BCM, but since the BCM controls the wipers, it certainly could be the cause of your van's problem.

Default Wipers inoperative

Would it be feasible to obtain a used BCM at a wrecking yard and install it? Does the junction block need to be removed to access the BCM? I understand that the main computer is specified for a particular VIN due to the firmware, but can a BCM from any like vehicle be installed?
    Thanks

Default Windsheid Wipers Inoperative

I have removed the Body Control Module along with the junction block. This required the dash plastic front under the steering wheel removed, parking brake handle, hood release handle, steel frame under steering column, and 6 very large electrical connectors, along with the 3 long j box mounting bolts.The BCM cannot be removed from the J box without total removal of the J block due to one 8mm screw in BCM at upper left, too high to reach.
    I am checking with local wrecking yards for a replacement BCM. According to the yard, only the 1996 BCM fits this car.

Default Windsheild Wipers Inoperative

I replaced the body control module and the junction box, a three hour job. Car ran great, wipers and everything worked for 2 minutes, then just clicking from the BCM. I tested the battery, only 6 volts with both cables connected , and clicking can be heard from the BCM , 9 volts when positive unhooked. All connections on BCM and junction box rechecked. I understand the BCM must be programmed with VIN to work properly. I can get this done for $80.00 locally if I can get it running.