Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2003 Grand Prix GTP3800, heater core hoses and blower motor questions...

Question 2003 Grand Prix GTP3800, heater core hoses and blower motor questions...

Hi Again,

I have to explain this so you understand what's gone on...

I started having temperature flucuations. Then, in the passenger compartment, I started getting an antifreeze smell. Then one night the passenger side floor was soaked and I was running hot. I had to wait a coulple of days before I could work on the problem and finally lost my blower motor. I figured the core blew and soaked the blower motor and caused it to short out. I checked the fuses and they were fine. I'm not sure which fuse was actually for the heater blower motor so I checked them all and they were fine (the fuses in the engine compartment).

Also, recently a friend said that there may be some kind of relay that is a common headache which blows rather frequently. Is this true? If so where is it located? I've looked at the schematics and can't seem to locate it at all.

For what ever reason I started working on the blower motor 1st. I've got the actual blower motor out but when I was removing the mounting screws to actually remove the motor/fan assembly alot, I mean ALOT of water just started flowing out of the fan housing assembly unit. Could this have been caused by the core problem or is there a possible external vent issue that caused this issue? The water had a faint antifreeze smell but wasn't green. In any event, I know that the amount of water that came out of the housing can't be normal and is most likely the reason for the motor to have crapped out. On a side note, I also checked out the heater controls and they have juice flowing to the them in the control unit.

Ok, I've got the center console removed. I've dropped the drivers and passenger side under panels, removed both drivers and passenger front seats. The blower directional (heater core outer cover) cover and inner core cover have been removed and I can see the heater core. Is there some special long handled, angled plyer tool to be able to get in to the hose clamps for the hoses for the heater core in the engine compartment? I can get a regular set of plyers in there but can't compress the tabs on the clamps. How the heck do you get these off!

On the bright side I haven't set the airbags off!

Any advice would be appreciated!
    "One foot on the break and one on the gas...."

If there is that much water/coolant its gotta come from the heater core unless the drian tube from the A/C evap housing is plugged. You need to check the cooling system level. Mac Tools sells really trick pliers that are long for getting to hard to reach areas. Contact them at 1-800-mac-tool.

Thumbs up Thanks again!

Once again, you've been an invaluable resource!
    "One foot on the break and one on the gas...."