Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '03 Grand Prix GTP woes...

Question '03 Grand Prix GTP woes...

Hi,

I've owned my GTP for two years now and have just had my heater core blow out on me taking the blower unit with it as well. I've picked up your manual (#38010) and have read and re-read the specific sub sections in chapters three and 11.

The manual states that there should be some kind of retaining pin to remove the shifter knob from the shaft to allow removal of the center console to gain access to the core unit... Really!!?? Where the heck is it?? At the base of the knob (underneith the leather beauty shield surrounding the gear selection shaft) there's a black ring. Above that is the shifter knob with a forward facing release button that, when depressed, allows you to change gears from park to whatever. At the base of the knob is a notch. I can see what I think is the shaft that the knob slides onto but no pin. How do I get this off so I can begin the repair proceedure?

HELP!!

"One foot on the break and one on the gas...."

Hi Session9,

According to the GM factory service manual, the clip for the knob is on the front of the knob, just below the button - I'm looking at a drawing of it right now. It's a "horseshoe"-shaped clip. It sounds like it's in the area you're describing, but I'm at a loss as to why your knob doesn't seem to have a clip. Maybe you can leave the knob in place and detach the console from the floor and reposition it in such a way as to have access to the heater core cover? I don't know. If that doesn't work, email one of our tech service reps at research@haynes.com - they'll do what they can to help.

Red face Thank You

Yeah, I think the pin may be missing. In any event, before I send another email I'm going to try to just pull the knob off again. The hole is empty but the knob is just not budging.

Thanks for your response!
    "One foot on the break and one on the gas...."