Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Orifice tube on 2001 S10 Pick up 2.2L

Smile Orifice tube on 2001 S10 Pick up 2.2L

I have looked everywhere for the information and my book doesn't show where it is. I need the location so that I may plan my replacement of the compressor, Accumulator, oil and orifice tube. I want to flush the system out in the process as well.

Did u look behind the grill of the passenger side of the truck

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. Jones View Post
    Did u look behind the grill of the passenger side of the truck
    No, not yet. I have been looking everywhere online for the answer. I don't want to take my whole system apart. I need to know for sure where it is so I can remove it and flush it from that point before I install the new one.

Hi rdavisrock,

Detach the evaporator tube from the evaporator (it's the line that attaches to the lower evaporator fitting). The orifice tube can then be pulled from the evaporator. When installing, the shorter screen end of the orifice tube goes into the evaporator first.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi rdavisrock,

Detach the evaporator tube from the evaporator (it's the line that attaches to the lower evaporator fitting). The orifice tube can then be pulled from the evaporator. When installing, the shorter screen end of the orifice tube goes into the evaporator first.
    Thanks Admin,

I thought that might be where it was. Much better than the condensor. So now I also know in which direction I need to flush it as well. By the way, I have been a Haynes Manual customer for over 20 years and I love your books. Thanks for all the hard work you do.

Thanks for being a loyal customer!

As far as that orifice tube goes, sometimes they can really be stuck. If it won't come out with a pair of needle-nose pliers, you might have to get a special extractor tool, which should be available at most auto parts stores.

Good luck on that repair!