Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: A/C Line 2002 stratus

Exclamation A/C Line 2002 stratus

How do you disconnect the a/c line that runs from the compressor to the dryer? I can disconnect it from the compressor, but I cant get the quick connect apart where it goes into the dryer/receiver. I bought the quick connect tool kit and have the manual but still no luck. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Brad

Hi bradlyle,

The Stratus Coupe uses threaded fittings and flange-type fittings secured by nuts or bolts, so I'm assuming you're working on a Stratus Sedan.

According the the 2002 Dodge factory service manual, the refrigerant lines connected to the receiver/drier are not detachable; they have to be detached from the condenser (that one is a flange-type fitting secured by a nut) and the expansion valve at the firewall (that's a quick connect fitting). If you're using Haynes manual no. 25040 and you're following the procedure in Chapter 3, Section 14, Steps 6 and 7 explain and illustrate this.

There is no line running between the compressor and the receiver/drier. There's a line going from the compressor to the condenser, one going from the condenser to the receiver/drier, one going from the receiver/drier to the expansion valve, and one going from the expansion valve back to the compressor.

So, don't try to detach the lines from the receiver/drier.

Post A/C line 02 stratus sedan

So, the a/c line that is running into the receiver/dryer on the back firewall is not detatchable? How do you replace it? It is leaking there and I figured it was an o-ring. Thanks again

The line IS detachable where it connects to the expansion valve (at the firewall), but not at the receiver-drier. Yes, there is an O-ring where the line attaches to the expansion valve.

Default a/c line 02 status sedan

How exactly does it detatch? I bought the tool but guess I am doing something wrong or have the wrong tool. The one I bought was plastic that opens like a clam shell.

First of all, be sure the air conditioning system has been discharged.

Place the tool over the line (be sure to remove the clip on the fitting first), then close the tool over the fitting, push it into the fitting (doing this expands a garter spring), then pull the line out of the expansion valve.