Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Air in the PS lines, and trans doesnt catch

Exclamation Air in the PS lines, and trans doesnt catch

I have a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS FWD 2.0L N/A 4 cylinder automatic and have air in my power steering fluid, I bled the lines according to the manual but to no avail. Any ideas as to why this could be happening? Also, the trans will not catch until right around 4k rpm or higher and it only does this in low or reverse.

Sounds like you may not have gotten all the air out the first time hopefully it did not foam; this can take a long time to get all the air out. You could still have air getting into the system from a leak or from the pump or steering gear starting to fail. The trans may be bad or the fluid is low or in really bad condition.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Sounds like you may not have gotten all the air out the first time hopefully it did not foam; this can take a long time to get all the air out. You could still have air getting into the system from a leak or from the pump or steering gear starting to fail. The trans may be bad or the fluid is low or in really bad condition.
    It did foam, how bad is that? And the trans was in perfect working condition when I had my wreck and it was fine when I got it back so it could just be low on fluid since I had to rehook the trans cooling lines to the radiator?