Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Suzuki Vitara Villager also known as Wagon

Default Suzuki Vitara Villager also known as Wagon

Dear Sir, madam,

I have the old edition of the Suzuki Samurai/Vitara manual (green cover).
    My question is the following: at present I am busy changing the brake discs.
    To be sure the brake discs are mounted with te correct torque, I use a professional torquewrench.
    I am only confused by the value of torque needed. The (Haynes) manual gives 2 figures, for example: 86 - 184 lbs. I would like to know: how do I interprete this figures? In other words: what is the correct figure, do I use 86 or 184, or use first 86 and finish with 184?
    I hope you can give me an answer soon, because I want to finish the repair
    tomorrow.
    I thank you for your answer.

Kind regards,

Henk Weijerstrass

Hi Henk,

When a torque specification is presented that way, it means that the fastener should be tightened somewhere in the range between the two numbers.

However, if I'm not mistaken, the discs on your vehicle should slide right off the hub. They aren't bolted to the hub, but are sandwiched between the hub and the wheel. The only thing necessary to get them off is to remove the brake caliper (unless your Vitara is a model that the manual does not cover).

Therefore, there is no torque specification in the manual for disc-to-hub bolts. The example you gave - that was just an example, right? I couldn't find those values in the manual anywhere (and typically, a torque range won't be that large of a span).

Default Torque specifications

Hi Admin,

thank you for your answer.
    You are right about the discs, they aren't bolted to the hub, but for the two caliper holder-to-steering knuckle bolts (chapter brakes 9.6, removal) is given a torque setting of 29 to 43 Ft-lbs (brakes 9.1, specifications). How do I interprete these figures?

The same problem I have for the front wheel bearing locknut (Sidekick/Tracker). It isn't an actual "locknut", but looks more like a big washer with small holes, some of the holes threaded (another "big washer" is bolted on the former mentioned washer with 4 smal screws to lock it).
    I can't understand how you can attach it to the car with the given torque setting.
    It is no proper "nut", so, I can't use a torque wrench. But here also is given a torque setting range of 89 to 148 Ft-lbs. (Chapter 8, clutch and drivetrain, specifications). Even if I could use a torque wrench here, how do I interprete these figures?

I am very grateful for your answer!

Kind regards,

Henk Weijerstrass

Hello again, Henk,

Like I said in my first response, when there a tor spec spans a range of, let's say, 29 to 43 ft-lbs, a torque setting of anywhere between 29 and 43 ft-lbs is acceptable.

As for your front wheel bearing locknut, a special socket is required to engage the holes or cutouts in the locknut. Once you've tightened the nut to the proper torque (again, anywhere between 89 and 148 ft-lbs), install the lock plate and secure it to the locknut with the screws. If no holes line up, tighten the locknut a little more so they do line up. (For that reason, don't initially tighten the locknut to the upper end of the acceptable torque range).

A good auto parts store should have the special socket, but if not, you might have to contact a special tool supplier or a professional tool sales service such as Snap-On or Mac Tools (if they have those in your area).

I hope this helps.