Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: removing door trim 01 town and country

Default removing door trim 01 town and country

I have a 2001 town and country and my haynes manual covers 96 to 02. This span covers 2 body styles. I am trying to remove the drivers side inteior trim from the front door and the manual only shows the older body style. I am afraid to force something and cause any damage. can anyone help.

Unhappy

Have not yet received a response. I have a bad power window regulator and need to remove the trim from the drivers door to get to the regulator. The directions in the manual on page 11-8 of book 30011 show the door of the pre-2001 van .I tried to follow those directions but the door panel does not lift of as shown in the manual . I don't know if it comes off different or if I need to apply more pressure to remove. I don't want to break anything on this trim panel. It is a 01 t&c limited and the door has power windows locks and seat memory switches.

Hello krob-
    The Haynes experts will be back to you on Monday. Sorry for the delay in a reply. Thanks for your interest in Haynes manuals. Best, Admin

Hi krob,

Looking in the factory service manual for the 2001 T&C, here's what must be removed: A screw in the door pull cup (it's behind a plug that must be pried out), screws below the map pocket, the window crank (non-power windows, obviously), a screw behind the latch release handle, and the clips around the perimeter of the panel (carefully pry them out, working as close to each clip as possible so as not to damage the panel).

After all that has been done, lift the panel upward to disengage the flange at the top of the trim panel from the top of the door. Once disengaged, tilt the top of the panel outward and detach the linkage rod from the inside latch release handle. Disconnect the electrical connectors and you should have a door panel in your hands!

It's my guess that maybe one of the screws was missed (perhaps behind the handle or in the pull cup). Also, sometimes door panels can be stubborn to release from the sheetmetal at the top of the door. In my experience, sometimes it takes a bump with the palm of your hand on the side of the panel, near the top, as you exert upward force on the panel to release the small plastic projections that retain the top of the panel to the inner sheetmetal.

Sorry it took so long to respond; I hope this isn't too late. Sometimes a non-answered message kind of gets buried down in the list.

Let us know how it goes. Also, if you need any additional help, you can contact one of our tech service reps by emailing them at research@haynes.com. They'll want you to furnish them with the number/letter combination on the title page of your manual, just to the right of the Haynes logo.

Thanks for using Haynes manuals, and once again, sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Default 2001 Grand Caravan driver's door trim panel removal

Glad to see I'm not the only one who got stuck at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    clips around the perimeter of the panel (carefully pry them out, working as close to each clip as possible so as not to damage the panel).
    I'm pretty sure it's the clips that are giving me trouble now. They're not mentioned or pictured in my manual, (No complaints--I understand that every body style has its quirks.) so I don't know how many or where around the perimeter they are. Any more information about how to disengage these clips would be very helpful.

Hi quiescere,

I can't tell you how many clips there are, but they are around the perimeter of the panel and you can usually find them by sliding a thin tool between the trim panel and the door (a door panel tool works best for this, by you can use a screwdriver if you careful).