Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: problems with radiator

Hybrid View

Angry problems with radiator

I've done every thing in the book i seem to be loseing water everyday but there is none ever on the ground where could it be going also when sitting at a stop light the temp goes up about 240 then drops to normal while driving it runs normal temp then the temp will go up and down it does this with the radiator full i park and check it in the morning i have to add about a gallon every morning what could be the problem can anyone help it is on a cadillac eldrodo i don't know what year its a older model thanks

getmuddy69 - You need to get a cooling system pressure tester, this will allow you to pressurize the system to see the leak (if its external). If there aer no external leaks, the most likely cause is a blown head gasket - although it could be something much worse, like a cracked head or block.

If you are not losing any to the ground (does the under carriage of the car seem wet?) If there is no sign of coolant on the ground or on the under carriage the coolant must be getting in to the engine. If you lose a gallon a day you should be seeing white (steam) coming from your exaust(and a sweeter smelling exaust) if this is the case, like the Admin said this would typically be a bad head gasket or maybe a intake manifold seal, usually a intake problem would also leak down the block which may not hit the ground but would leave a sweet odor from the vehicle as it drips down the hot engine block.