Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Accelerator cable or speed sensor

Default Accelerator cable or speed sensor

Hello,
    I have a 1996 Nissan Sentra GXE and my speedometer has been not working off and on. I thought it was the accelerator cable which I have haynes manual 72051 and it explains this process, but a fellow worker said my model has a speed sensor and that it sounds like the speed sensor is the culprit.

Is there anyway to know which one needs replacing and if it is the speed sensor where is it is locatated and what does it look like. I don't see any mention of it in the manual.

Thanks,
    Adam

Hi wisorac,

The accelerator cable connects your gas pedal to the throttle body on the engine; it has nothing to do with the speedometer. The problem could be with the vehicle speed sensor, but it could also be a problem with the instrument cluster, or the circuit in between.

We really can't diagnose problems from a remote location. You'll find the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) in Chapter 6, Section 4 of your manual, beginning with Step 43.

Thanks for the help! I had the cars check engine light checked, and it is the speed sensor that is bad. I can't seem to find this on the transmission though. The picture in the manuel is zoomed in, so it's hard for me to locate. Is the speed sensor located under the hood or on the bottom of the trans? Thanks for any help in advance. I do see something under the hood that may be it. There is one bolt holding it down with a connector, but it doesnt look like the sensor in the Haynes book. I never replaced one before, so I am not certain on where that are.