Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 96 passport dies at idel

Exclamation 96 passport dies at idel

I have a 96 passport that im working on the side for a friend , the truck came to my with multi problems that i have all resolved minus the truck dies at idle. there was a missifire on cylinder number #3 that was due to a bad coil. I also droped the fuel tank and replaced the pump and all filters , after doing this the car ran fine for a day and the dieing at idle began again. there are no codes and my fuel pressure is good. this feels like a vacum leak but i checked every line , made sure the intake manifold had no leaks and check for proper torque. now as the third day of dealing with this problem child , the purge vavle start making a very loud ticking noise, so i unpluged the valve and the car started to idle much better but no check engine light came on. my quistion is can a purge valve cause this problem at idle????? please help me out

I do have a manual the # 47017 thank you

benztech - If the valve was constantly stuck open it could cause an idling problem but it sounds more like a vacuum leak. No internal mechanical problems?