Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Stiff Accelerator Pedal

Lightbulb Stiff Accelerator Pedal

I have a 1999 Sunfire, and the accelerator pedal is extremely stiff. I have been doing some research on the web and apparently I need to tighten the throttle cable. I've seen hundreds of tutorials on this, but they're all for cars that have nuts and bolts whilst mine has some of plastic thing (I don't even know if this is even related to tightening it but I can't find anything else). Can you help me out? I can take a picture of it if you'd like, but I can't now it's dark out.

Hi Mistraval,

The accelerator cable on your vehicle is not adjustable. Even if it was, I don't understand how "tightening" the cable would free it up.

At any rate, try turning the throttle cam by hand. If it rotates freely, disconnect the accelerator cable from it and push on the gas pedal. If it still feels stiff, the cable is probably bad (make sure the pedal itself operates freely).

Your vehicle is covered in Haynes manual no. 38016. You'll find accelerator cable replacement in Chapter, Section 10, if it turns out that the cable is in fact the problem.

Is it easy to do this? Or should I just go see a mechanic?

It's easy to do if you have the manual, some mechanical ability and a basic set of tools.