Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2004 Taurus -- won't start

Default 2004 Taurus -- won't start

My dad's 2004 Taurus w/ approx. 51,000 has sat untouched in a garage in Cleveland, Oh for about 3 months with a half-full tank of regular unleaded gas and no fuel additives.

I needed his car, so last week in 35 degree weather, I stopped over and started the vehicle. It started on the first turn, and I warmed it up for about 15 minutes.

Around 12 minutes, the vehicle started stuttering and eventually stalled. I could not get it to start again -- even after waiting 5 or 10 minutes.

What is the likely cause? I imagine either bad gas or a clogged fuel filter or line. Could it be a vapor lock?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi fifthranger,

You can rule out the vapor lock, since the car is fuel injected. It fired up and ran for a few minutes, so the chance of the fuel being bad is remote, too (3 months isn't all that long). What you need to do is find out a) do you have spark?, and b) do you have fuel pressure? Checking for any stored trouble codes can get you started on the right path (if there are any codes stored).