Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1991 Pontiac Firebird

Question 1991 Pontiac Firebird

I have the Haynes Manual for Pontiac Firebird 1982-1991 All Models. I am having heater issues. Not sure if it is Heater Control Valve, Heater Core, Heater Controls or vaccum hose.

I am finding no information for any of these components in my Manual. I have other Haynes Manuals for my other cars and they have this information fro them.

Any ideas? My heater is blowing cold air. AC works fine. No coolant in floorboard. AC/Heater controls seem to blow air through the right vents depending on setting. Coolant level is normal and thermostat is working properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Carl

Hi Carl,

First thing to do is check the coolant level. If the coolant level is OK, is the car warming up properly? If not, replace the thermostat. If the car is warming up properly, feel the inlet and outlet hoses where the heater hoses attach to the heater core at the firewall when the engine is at normal operating temperature. If one of the hoses is hot but the other one is cold (or just warm), that would mean your heater core is plugged up. If both hoses are hot, then the core is flowing coolant, so the problem would be in the heater housing (or related controls). There is no water valve that shuts off the flow of coolant to the heater core on your vehicle.

If these checks don't turn up anything, email one of our tech service reps at research@haynes.com. Explain the problem, tell them what Haynes manual you're using, and give them the number/letter combination (the one in parenthesis) on the title page, just to the right of the Haynes logo. They'll do what they can to help.

Sorry for not getting you all the car information. It is a 1991 Firebird w/305 TBI. I went and double checked and it does appear to have Heater Control Valve. 3 hoses which appear to be connected to the core and manifold and a vacuum line connected to it.

I went ahead and sent an email as instructed to the research folks.

Hopefully they can help.

Hi again,

Hmm, strange. The Pontiac factory service manual specifically states that there is no water valve! And we didn't show or describe one in our manual because of that, and because our project vehicle didn't have one either. There are a couple of other sources we can check on Monday.