Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '93 chev. truck stumbles/ surges/dies when coming to a stop.

Default '93 chev. truck stumbles/ surges/dies when coming to a stop.

I have a 1993 chev. 3500 4x4 w/a 454, auto trans. 233k. Truck hard to start when cold, and recently when I come to a stop the truck stumbles or dies. I had to keep the idle up/accelorator partiall depressed to keep the truck running. Any Ideas?
    Thanks.

Default More info

I also have noticed that when I first start the truck it will want to die, and the idle will fluctuate up and down for the first few minuites? after warmed up it usually ran fine until yesterday with the antics while coming to a stop. I was on the lsat eighth of a tank so at first I thought it was running out of gas, I then added half a tank and it persisted. I attempted to "warm it up" to make sure it wasnt a similar issue, but it didnt help.
    Any ideas or insight would be helpful.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dt1 View Post
    I also have noticed that when I first start the truck it will want to die, and the idle will fluctuate up and down for the first few minuites? after warmed up it usually ran fine until yesterday with the antics while coming to a stop. I was on the lsat eighth of a tank so at first I thought it was running out of gas, I then added half a tank and it persisted. I attempted to "warm it up" to make sure it wasnt a similar issue, but it didnt help.
    Any ideas or insight would be helpful.
    I have a 1996 Chev. Astro van with close to the same problem and I too figured it was the gas. However, with added gas and an attempt to start it, it BLEW out the muffler! It still won't start and we don't know what is going on with it. Can't afford a 'real' mechanic at this time. Would like to hear what was said about your problem. And I am glad to see this web site for a Q&A session!

Did you get a response to your question? I haven't found one yet on this site. I need help figuring this out as my van is my only mode of current transportation. Do you think there is bad gas going around(no pun intended!)? Or is there something with Chevy engines that go bad at a certain point in time? Thanks for responding! Cricket