Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Dodge Ram Stalling

Default Dodge Ram Stalling

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L It stalls at idel, but only after it warms up (10 to 20 minutes of driving). Mechanic says to test the egr valve. Does this soung like a egr problem? I cant keep the truck running to do the test. and dont have a vaccum pump (dont want to buy one if I dont have to).

Hi dd1013,

First, check to see if there are any trouble codes stored in the computer. If there's a problem with the EGR solenoid, the EGR valve might be getting vacuum all of the time, which could cause stalling. But other things could cause it too.

Checking the EGR valve with a vacuum pump will tell you if the diaphragm in the valve is or isn't leaking; applying vacuum will actuate the valve and open it. If it is an EGR problem, it sure doesn't sound like it's because of a defective EGR valve (unless it's carboned-up and sticking open) - at least not the diapgragm.

So, check for trouble codes first, since that can get you started in the right direction. Your truck is covered in Haynes manual no. 30041.