Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '95 Chevy S10 - cranks but doesn't run.

Default '95 Chevy S10 - cranks but doesn't run.

I'm helping a friend work on his S10 and thought this forum might be a good resource, considering that I'm learning the manual...

It's a 2.2L 2WD, manual. After replacing a defective starter, the truck will now turn over but not catch. It WILL run for a few seconds if starter fluid is sprayed in the intake, denoting a fuel problem. Fuel dry was placed in the tank to hopefully cure a condensation problem, which didn't work. Is there a relay somewhere that can be replaced? Following the replacement of a fuse/relay I'm going to replace the fuel filter, then the fuel pump...

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated - I am not familiar with any common issues on these trucks.

~ Gabe
    Last edited by RFelsburg; 01-27-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Modify Title

Hi RFelsburg,

Before you start throwing parts at the truck, try to find out why you're not getting fuel to the engine. Does the pump run? What you should do is follow the information in Chapter 4, Section 3 of your manual (I'm assuming you have the proper manual for the '95 S-10).

You indicated that you added "fuel dry" to the tank. Why? Are you sure the fuel is good? I recently came across a no-run condition where I had spark, compression and fuel. Turns out the fuel was bad, even though it didn't smell bad. Just a thought, since that kind of a problem can really drive you nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi RFelsburg,

... Turns out the fuel was bad, even though it didn't smell bad. Just a thought, since that kind of a problem can really drive you nuts!
    I haven't gotten to the point yet where I can get underneath there and attach a gauge where the fuel filter is. As far as I can tell, I can hear the pump building pressure with the key in the "on" position (not cranking). I DO want to say it's a gas situation (which would make the "first" sense). My friend said that the tank was near empty when the starter went out, and since then (over the course of say, a week of the truck sitting) he added some fuel from a gas can in the bed of his truck. I want to say that there's condensation in the fuel, absolutely.

So step number one, replace the fuel, will do. The Haynes manual that I have actually doesn't say anything about bad fuel, ha-ha. But yes, it can drive you nuts!! So past the fuel, I would be getting ahead of myself... I'll syphon the fuel out and go from there. I'm simply having trouble figuring out where the valid point is to start...

Thank you for your input :-)

I was able to get a fuel pressure test gauge right before the fuel filter. In the picture in the Haynes manual, it appears that they inserted a T joint where the fuel filter is. I was able to do this without removing the filter - hopefully that's okay (this joint screwed into the inlet, and then the fuel filter).

I turned the key and there was absolutely NO pressure.

I tried to check the fuel relay in the glove compartment. The manual is vague; which relay is it - the right or the left? I took the right one out and turned the key and the top two female ends gave me a little over 11 volts... So I'm assuming power is getting to the fuel relay?

And maybe next I'll try and test the connection at the fuel pump, or something, to see if it's even getting power. The ECM-BATT fuse is fine.

Am I on the right track?

Default Fuel Pump issues.

Sorry guys, bumping as I could really use the help.

We dropped the tank, and put a voltmeter up to the connector that supplies the voltage. It measured 8.34V. I tested the fuel pump relay, I think, in the dashboard glove compartment, There's 2 relays, one on the left of the 3, one in the middle. Pins 3 and 5, and Pins 2 and 5 measure to 12V depending on the position of the key.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

RF - Contact pour research department at [EMAIL="research@haynes.com"]research@haynes.com[/EMAIL] and they will get you some information that might be able to help. They will need to know. What is the Haynes manual number that you purchased. Its located on the first page towards the bottom next to the Haynes logo. It looks something like this (2d8-34444). They will also nned all of the vehicle information (year, engine, s-10 pu or blazer).