Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: ford F150 1/2 T heater core HELP!!!

Question ford F150 1/2 T heater core HELP!!!

I have F150 Ford 1/2 ton. Heater core gone. Bought the haynes manuel and have tore the entire dash board stright across out, still cant seem to get to the darn heater core, the book not much real help! ANY one have any better ideas??? Am a girl (not that it matters) but no one around that can help me or the kids so we r on our own here. Getting to cold to be without the heater in the truck! Am pretty capable to do the work, but am getting in over my head as now I have this MESS and am scared Iif I keep going I may not be able to put it all back together...hehehe

So Happy Holiays to all, and if someone has a minute for advice, please let this girl in cali know!!! thanks!

Hi huera1,

What year is your truck and what manual are you using? Give us that info and maybe we can help you out.

its a 1998 8 cylinder automatic. ive got the entire dash board torn out, can not seem to get it off. i no, i probably over killed it but the haynes manuel for the ford 98 f150 trk doesnt show me the tear down of the dash so i am winging it.... got it almost out but there seems to be a clip or a screw on the right hand side thats holding it.

Hi again huera1,

The manual shows instrument panel removal in Chapter 11, Section 28. The truck we had in our shop for the photographs was a 1997 F-150, so it should be the same as your '98.

Just to make sure, I need to ask you - did you have the A/C system discharged before you started? This has to be done because the evaporator lines have to be disconnected. There's pressurized refrigerant in there, so this is a safety issue (as well as a legal/environmental issue).

Anyway, it sounds like you're almost there. We actually did the instrument panel removal procedure and the heater core removal procedure in our shop, and photographed and documented it as best as is possible, so if you follow the instructions you should be successful.

have a 134a rechg/recyc/evap unit thingy the X left behind, ive used it during the summer and made a few bucks on ac work, but im finally at the heater core housing, so after lunch its all or nothing, but many thx and happy holidays to all of uz!!!

Huera1,

Thanks, and same to you. It's great to hear from women who aren't afraid to take on repairs by themselves - especially one like this, 'cause it's a big job. Way to go!

We'll be out of the office until January 5, so I hope everything goes well on your project. If you need any additional help, though, go ahead and post again. We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Merry Christmas!