Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1991 f150 5.0

Default 1991 f150 5.0

Greetings,

My name is Eric and I am having a nightmare. My f150 just wouldn't shut off the other day, I disconnected my ignition switch and headed off to work since I was late.

I went to the parts store and bought an ignition switch, lock cylinder and key, and rented a steering wheel puller. When I got the chance to check it out, I realized that my Haynes manual (36058) does not offer detailed instructions and pictures for my steering column. There is not even a picture of what ended up being my problem, I don't know how to change it. The thing is known as the ignition switch actuator and it is a dealer part. The dealer said it's an obsolete part. So I can't get one, which might be just as well since the manual doesn't tell me how to change it.

Now I am considering replacing it with a part I found at [***]http://autozone.com[/***] but in order to do that, I would have to know which wires attached to which prongs.

I would like to know if I could get some detailed instructions for changing this ignition switch actuator, I finally got ahold of a dealer a couple hours away that has one in stock still. Also, I would like a detailed color specific explanation of what the wires that are in the ignition switch harness actually do. So just in case this guy doesn't get back with me about the actuator, I can change out the ignition switch for an aftermarket one.

I could also use some pictures to help me try to get the steeing wheel back together.

Here is a link to the ignition that I am considering.

[***]http://www.autozone.com/R,523243/store,3571/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm[/***]

Thank you so much for your help.

Eric Sutton

Eric - Thank you for your inquiry. Contact our research department at [email]research@haynes.com[/email] and they will try and help you. They will need all of your vehicle details and the Haynes manual number that you purchased. Its located on the first page towards the bottom next to the Haynes logo. It looks something like this (2d8-34444).