Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1997 Dodge Neon Dashboard

Default 1997 Dodge Neon Dashboard

just bought it and have a question. The speedometer and odometer dont work all the time. Sometimes when going over a bump the speedometer and odometer stop and the dome light will flicker on. Also when you step on the brakes the left parking light comes on. I know its electrical but does it sound like a computer issue? Thanks

depmackey - It could be a vehicle speed sensor, bad connection, faulty circuit board on the back of the cluster. I recommend starting with the bad connections at the rear of cluster then the vehicle speed sensor after that. Also make sure that your battery cable connections are perfect. Dodge has a lot of problems from something so simple.

I have a 97 Plymouth Neon as well, and I had the same problem with ALL of the gauges. Occasionally they would flicker on and off, all simultaenously. I found that the cluster wasn't making a good enough connection into the sockets attached to the dash, as the sockets get plugged in automatically as you seat the cluster in the dash. I was able to unattach the sockets on the dash side, and manually attach them to the cluster before seating the cluster in the dash. Althought I had to use an x-acto knife to carve away some of the plastic on the sockets in order to allow clearance.

The dome light seems pretty unrelated to the cluster problem, I would check the momentary switch on the inside rim of either the driver side door or the passenger. The driver side has two switches, one for the dome light, and the other for the dash-chime, unfortunately I don't remember which is which, as both of mine are broken lol.

I also have the same problem with the left parking light coming on while braking, this is due to an intermittent/bad connection in the switch in the turn signal stalk. While you are braking and the light comes on, wiggling the turn signal stock while leaving it in it's neutral position should make the problem go away, temporarily. I have yet to find a solution, or even look for that matter. i have far worse problems with my 97 neon, lol.

Thanks, Johnny!