Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 95 pontiac grand am wont start

Default 95 pontiac grand am wont start

I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM V6 3.1, the relay was removed for the fuel pump and while it was removed the car got started for a few seconds and later the fuel pump relay was replaced. You can here the fuel pump kick in when the key is turned and fuel is coming out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail on top of the engine. But the the engine just cranks like it doesn't have any fuel. Anything quick that anyone can think of that I'm missing.

Thanks

Steve

Hi gbeaven,

Two thoughts, actually. First: Are you getting spark to the plugs? I'm not sure what repair you were doing before this problem showed up, but maybe something was done that would disable the ignition. A quick and easy check is to spray a little starting fluid (available at auto parts stores) down the throttle body and try to start the car again. If it runs momentarily, you've verified it's a fuel problem. If it doesn't start, it's probably an ignition problem. If the engine starts with the fluid, you can figure your injectors are probably not opening. You can check this with a mechanic's stethoscope. Place the tip of the stethoscope on an injector - you should hear a light clicking noise as the engine is being cranked. If the injectors are not opening, the problem could be as simple as a loose connection or blown fuse.

In basic terms, the problem pretty much has to be the injectors not opening or an ignition problem (I'm assuming the engine also has compression).

If you don't already have it, get Haynes manual #38025 for your Grand Am. Then, if you have any further questions, contact us at: [email]research@haynes.com[/email].

Thank you for your interest in Haynes manuals!